GNV + #SportsVizSunday: Is it a Sport or a Game?
Welcome back and happy new year!
To start the new year we're teaming up with #SportsVizSunday to answer the question, "When is a sport a sport and a game a game?". If you've seen the Netflix series "We Are the Champions" you'll see what is considered a sport is changing - with games being very much a part of this change. To help answer the question we've got datasets exploring the crossover between games and sports.
We're challenging you to visualise games that could be sports, and sports that might be called games.
- Many consider Tiddlywinks to be a children's game but did you know there's a world championship?
- eSports are becoming more mainstream but what are top-earning games for eSports professionals?
- The idea of having a beer and running sounds like a drinking game but are they much slower than professional athletes?
Bonus: Iron Viz Leftovers
Back in 2022, the theme for Iron Viz was games and sports. If you entered Iron Viz but didn't finish your submission or have an idea that you didn't submit use this challenge to explore that idea or finish that viz.
Data Visualisation Challenge
Head over to the #SportsVizSunday blog post to find out more! And check out the previous challenges from #SportsVizSunday.
Looking for data?
Pick one of the data sets below, or a data set you've found, and visualise it.
Easy Difficulty - For those new to data visualisation or with limited time available)
- 2022 Beer Mile World Classic (Source: beermile.com)
Normal Difficulty - A fair size data set that could create multiple data visualisations
- International Federation of Tiddlywinks Associations World Singles (Source: iftwa.org/world-singles-results)
- eSports earnings (Source: esportsearnings.com / Kaggle)
Heroic Difficulty - A large data set for those with more time available
- FIFA 23 Complete Player Dataset (Source: sofifa.com / Kaggle / Historial Data)
Legendary Difficulty - Bring your own data #IronQuest style
Or finish off that 2022 Iron Viz idea or submission.
Or choose one of the data sets from the #GamesNightViz Data Archive 💾
Or choose your own dataset to visualise.
How to Submit
- The deadline is midnight PST on 10th February 2023, the next challenge will be released shortly afterwards
- Post your submissions on Twitter with the hashtags #SportsVizSunday and #GamesNightViz, and tag any members of the team @WJSutton12, @Visual_Endgame, @ninjavizlouis so we don't miss your great work!
- Submit your work to the project tracker here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqFaHnRcX2uBX7h5PkbigXim1kfQMsnC7ZloF8UvxzfRog4w/viewform?usp=sf_link